Our Manhattan Housing Program located in Lower Manhattan is seeking a Housing Counselor to provide support to our residents during the overnight shift.
The Housing Counselor oversees' a supervised transitional housing community which is a community residence program dedicated to helping people with psychiatric disabilities move from shelters and hospitals into the community and onto the path toward independent living. We provide supportive housing to 14-24 community residents.
A community residence program dedicated to helping people with psychiatric disabilities move from shelters and hospitals into the community and onto the path toward independent living.
Position Type: Full Time (Overnight)
Shifts Available: Flexible 8am-4pm | 4pm -12am | 12am -8am.
Position Location: Manhattan - Lower East Side
Position Salary: $16.32
Health and Wellness Benefits:
- 403b contribution (company match)
- Pre-tax savings plan
- Employee Assistance Program
Essential Position ResponsibilitiesSocialization Events:
ADL Training and Coaching:
- In conjunction with the residents, organize socialization events and evening activities.
- Run recreation groups.
- Accompany residents on socialization activities both in and outside the site.
- One-on-one and group training and coaching on the development of essential life skills with a focus on independent living, for example, keeping your personal area clean and orderly, laundry, snack preparation and clean up, personal shopping, among other living skills.
- Provide close observation and keep accurate records of residents taking their medications.
- Inform appropriate staff when a resident is not taking his/her medications as prescribed or has missed a dosage.
- Observe and assist residents in packaging their medications. Provide coaching and follow up to foster self-medication skills
Physical safety and security:
- Perform room checks.
- Provide hands-on assistance to residents in keeping personal area clean and orderly.
- Maintain cleanliness of site, including bathrooms, garbage disposal and kitchen cleaning.
- Assist residents with sleep hygiene (good sleep habits which promote normal, quality nighttime sleep) routine.
Meal Preparation and Coordination:
- Provide accurate documentation of activity in-house.
- Observe and document residents' interactions; provide interventions, as needed.
- Provide crisis management, as needed.
Administrative and Clerical:
- Serve pre-made nutritious meals for residents and prepare plates for those not present.
- Engage residents in meal preparation to provide hands on assistance to prepare meals, from menu selection through cooking and clean-up.
- Escort residents on food and household shopping excursions as a way to develop residents' skill and confidence.
Position Education Qualifications:
- Answer phones, take messages, and provide routine information about
- Handle packages in accordance with package policy.
- Provide holiday coverage.
- Possess a minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent (GED)
- Be skilled in conflict mediation/negotiation/resolution and have an assertive approach to problem solving
- Ability to utilize various computer programs; specifically, Microsoft Word and Excel
- Be creative and flexible
- Maintain confidentiality of information, as related to position
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Get fingerprinted and cleared by the Office of Mental Health (OMH)
- Ability to lift 40 lbs